Apply for a Guide Dog
To apply for a pet dog, click here.
To apply to become a volunteer or puppy raiser, click here.
For more than five decades, Fidelco has been unwaveringly dedicated to its mission of breeding and training our German Shepherd Guide Dogs - and then expertly matching them with our clients across North America who are blind or visually impaired.
Our passion is to produce the highest quality guide dogs, dogs who are partners in the engaged and vibrant lives of our clients. Our focus has never shifted from guide dogs, or from providing increased independence and mobility to you, our valued clients. When you become a Fidelco client, you benefit from not only our deeply rooted heritage but our bright and steady future as well. If you are interested in a Fidelco Guide Dog, please click here for the Guide Dog Application Package Request form.
We know there are many guide and service dog schools out there. So, why Fidelco?
- We breed, raise, and train only Fidelco Geman Shepherd Guide Dogs, our own "breed within a breed." Created from Bavarian stock, the Fidelco German Shepherd is an outstanding and exclusive product of selective breeding from strong working lines; thus, our dogs possess the characteristics of the ideal working guide: intelligence, temperament, stamina, and stability.
- We provide our German Shepherd Guide Dogs at no cost to clients. All the training you receive from our certified trainer/instructors and all at-home follow-up visits (at least once yearly) are also provided free of charge, as is access to our 24/7 hotline.
- Our In-Community placement program allows you to bond and train with your Fidelco Guide Dog in your home and in the community in which you live and work. Fidelco pioneered this program, and it remains the gold standard - and demonstrates that Fidelco understands you may not have the time, nor the desire, to be away for weeks.
- Because you train at home with your dog and with yoru dog's dedicated trainer, the client to trainer ratio is always 1:1. The strength and safety of your team is all that matters.
- When it comes time for your Fidelco Guide Dog to retire, we have a support system in place to help you adjust to this often very emotional change. We'll explain all the options available for your beloved current guide as well as the process to follow should you wish to pursue a successor dog.
Partnering with a guide dog is a big decision, and it's one that can be truly life-changing. At Fidelco, we take great pride in our work, and in the often life-saving partnerships we create. Our clients have referred to us as their "Fidelco family," and we'd love the opportunity to welcome you into that fold.
From our stringent application process to our equally rigorous method of matching clients to dogs, which help ensure that we are not only creating successful partnership but loving friendships as well, Fidelco has a team in place to walk you through each step...and that support continues for the entire working life of your unique partnership.
Ready to learn more? Or maybe you're ready to apply - and to live your life with a Fidelco Guide Dog leading the way. Then simply click here to learn more about our application process or call 860-243-5200. We look forward to hearing from you.